Peninsula Catholic High School (PC) is the oldest Catholic School in Hampton Roads, providing excellent Catholic education for youth in Newport News and its surrounding communities since 1903.
PC was originally established in 1903 as St. Vincent de Paul School for Girls by the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth. Catholic philanthropists Thomas Fortune Ryan and his wife, Ida Mary Barry Ryan, donated a brick school and convent as the first home of St. Vincent de Paul School. The school became co-educational in 1929 when the Xaverian Brothers closed their school for boys.
In 1960 the name was changed to St. Vincent Central High School, and in 1966 the school’s name was changed to Peninsula Catholic High School to emphasize its role as an institute of learning for the entire region.
After a successful capital campaign involving alumni, families, and corporate and community partners, PC was relocated to its current home on Harpersville Road in 1995.
From a drafty four-room brick building to a modern facility with wireless classrooms and a legacy of educating leaders and mindful citizens, the spirit and ideals of the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth have guided the St. Vincent’s-Peninsula Catholic family.
Throughout the history of PC, educators, community members, and Catholic philanthropists have worked together to ensure a home on the Virginia peninsula for students of all backgrounds to receive a quality education rooted in Catholic tradition.